Saturday, August 02, 2008

Out and about




I am desperately trying to catch up on my blogging as I have been very 'tarry' lately in posting so I apologise. The days just seem to fly by and I cannot believe that it is August already - where did the summer go and is there any left?

This week we visited the lovely Chesters Walled Garden, near the famous Chesters Fort in Northumberland. You will be able to read all about our visit to Susie White's charming garden in Recklessgardener shortly.

Susie is a real expert when it comes to herbs and I was in awe of her knowledge. Her garden is simply devine and very peaceful, there are plenty of little areas in which to seek solice and her colourful drifts of planting are a delight. I was not surprised when she told me that she was influenced early on by Margery Fish but as with every garden Chesters is certainly a product of its creator and Susie is to be congratulated on cultivating and designing such a heavenly space.

On our way back to Cumbria we happened, quite by chance, to come across Lanercost Priory, which turned out to be a perfect end to the day. The Priory was originally founded by the Augustinians and of course we associate their order and those of the Benedictines and Cistercians with the growing of herbs and flowers for medicinal as well as culinary uses. So all in all we learnt a lot about herbs and their uses on our two visits as well as experiencing two very special places.

1 Comments:

At 3:02 pm, Blogger janet said...

I was interested to see you had visited Chesters Walled Garden and look forward to reading further comments. I have visited this garden many times over the past few years and am amazed at how lovely it looks this autimn in spite of the awful weather over the summer

 

Post a Comment

<< Home