Thursday, August 12, 2010

Lazy days of summer!

I no doubt that those of us in the northern climes have noticed that since the children broke up for their summer holidays we have had virtually non-stop rain, albeit with smatterings of sunshine in between! However, I feel there is still that atmosphere of lazy summer days around and I find it hard some days to sit down and become a 'desk slut' once again, pounding out on my keyboard.

However, I have just returned from a fab day at RHS Garden Wisley - ok I didn't have constant sun during my visit, in fact it rained - but I did nevertheless really enjoy myself and hopefully my photographs will be ok too. The Wisley Glasshouse is sensational and another thing I really liked about the garden was how easy it was to navigate which is important to someone with bad legs and a walking stick (me) - not to mention those who have to enjoy their gardens from a wheelchair. There also seems to be a natural path of progression around Wisley which means that you are less likely to miss bits out, which always happens to me.   My picture shows some of the fantastic plants in the Glasshouse but there is so much more at Wisley that you really need a couple of visits to see everything. Our feature on Wisley will appear on the website in the next few days so keep logging onto - www.recklessgardener.com

Dobbies, have just published a very good blog on poison plants and you might like to check that out -
http://www.dobbies.co.uk/blog/poisonous-plants - we did review a book recently on the Reckless Gardener website written by John Robertson "Is that cat dead?"which is an excellent guide to poison plants and an entertaining read in its own right. The Poison Garden at Alnwick Castle is proving very popular and it is useful for us to know the properties of plants which may cause harm in our gardens for obvious reasons! That doesn't mean we don't grow them - just to be aware when not to touch, eat or smell!

Birthdays and anniversaries are never easy to remember but if you have them stored in one place for easy reference then the job becomes easier. The RHS Birthday Book has just been launched showcasing the work of Lilian Snelling MBE, which formed the outstanding model for the British botanical artists in the latter half of the 20th century. The Birthday Book also makes a really nice present and is the perfect accompaniment to the RHS Diary and RHS Address Book. Priced at £5.95 ex VAT.

'A Garden Party to Make a Difference' will be running in the Prince of Wales private gardens in Clarence House and the gardens of Lancaster House and Marlborough House from 8th to 19th September. Described by one source as 'the ultimate garden party for the eco-conscious', the event sounds brilliant. Organised by 'Start' The Prince of Wales initiative launched in February - with the aim to help people across the UK take small steps towards a more sustainable lifestyle - the festival will cover a number of areas. There is a musical programme curated by Jools Holland, Growing and Gardens with Alan Titchmarsh and Comedy by Marcus Brigstocke and Hugh Dennis, to name but a few things taking place.

Information about the event and tickets can be obtained on www.startgardenparty.co.uk

My picture (right) is another pic of Wisley, just to make you envious! Enjoy what's left of the lazy days of summer!

2 Comments:

At 11:27 am, Blogger Unknown said...

I live in the soggy north too and yes, since the announcement of the hosepipe ban/summer school holidays, it has rained here all but 3 days. Glad to hear that Wisley is so good nw I haven't been for ages. Might make it in the Autumn.
http://www.best4garden.co.uk/

 
At 3:01 pm, Blogger Sandy said...

I know the hosepipe ban is a pain to a lot of people but having seen the level in the likes of Haweswater I suppose I can see why. Hope you do make it to Wisley you will find so much of interest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home