Thursday, August 23, 2007

Sunshine & Sempervivums




I can't believe we are now on day three of SUN. It is a shame that the efforts to get some Vit.C to help the bones is being hampered by creepy crawlies - the total number of bites I have encountered these last few days would more than win the lottery - anyway, musn't complain because we do have some SUN.

Rain is OK for the plants and really good for the greenery but not so good for arthritics - so roll on some more sun before winter sets in.

One thing which struck me from this year's flower shows is that you can use just about anything to plant in. Add to that my love of Sempervivums and some inspiration from the likes of Anthony Samuelson and I have found that I can be quite inventive.

I have a large collection of coronation mugs and the non-china ones are not really worth anything so I thought how could I use these instead of just throwing them away? The answer came from my numerous visits to the flower shows - yes you guessed it I have planted some of them with Sempervivums. They look fab in the conservatory and you get to use otherwise unwanted objects. You have to watch watering and drainage because they are mugs without drain holes but I have managed quite well so far.

So the mugs didn't go to the tip as I had planned and I am smugly pleased with myself.

2 Comments:

At 7:37 pm, Blogger Bob said...

Hi Sandy, I like your Sempervivum mug. If you want to see what I did with some Sempervivums go take a look at my blog. Glad you are still getting some sunshine. I think after the summer we just had we are due a nice Autumn don't you.
Bob.

 
At 8:29 am, Blogger RUTH said...

That gives me an idea what to do with an old teapot..thanks! :o) Let's hope the sun keeps shining few a few more days at least!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home