Saturday, August 30, 2008

creating an ark

I now know how Noah felt when he began to build his ark. We have had several days of pretty heavy rain in Cumbria and very little sun. I had rashly entered some of my roses in a couple of categories in the Arnside Horticultural Society Show. There had been so little sun I was lucky to get enough to enter. Anyway, not that I am wanting to brag or anything like that! I got first prize for my floribunda so I was well chuffed and just for a little time it brought the sun out - in my mind anyway. I have never entered for a show before so at least it was a bit of encouragement.

I was interested to learn that No.10 Downing Street now has a No 10 in Bloom spot on its website so log on if you want to take a peek at a very lovely garden behind that famous front door. Log onto: http://www.number10.gov.uk and follow the link from there.

Peter Procter and Gillian Cole have a new book out called 'Grasp the Nettle' - making biodynamic farming and gardening work. If you are passionate about gardening organically then you may find this book very interesting and useful. Published by Random House, N.Z., the book outlines how to apply biodynamic methods of farming and gardening to a wide range of conditions.

I have also reviewed Joe Swift's new book Joe's Urban Garden which should be on the website in the book review section shortly. Good book and one with plenty of ideas and suggestions.

The blackspot on the roses has been really terrible this year. I now have some very sick specimens completely devoid of their leaves. This is a real nuisance disease and despite all my attempts with various remedies - yes I've tried the soot - it never really goes away. I was told by one rose grower to rip the lot out as soon as I saw one black spotted leaf, but I feel that is a bit extreme and will continue to get on with it. I still had a wonderful show of roses in the early summer and there are also some nice ones on display now so I will try not to notice the spotted leaves.

The ground is so wet there is little chance of my getting anything done - even cutting back is problematic. Perhaps the autumn will turn out to be one of those Indian Summers - well I can dream on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home