Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Winter wonderland

Great Gladiolus the news today is so much worse - that poor Harry has been kidnapped by the dark side while the fawning and smiling traitor Connie has blown herself up for the sake of mankind.

Well Spooks might be entertaining me at the moment but the thoughts of dealing with all the moss which has been created on my paths and patio by the endless summer rain is not. My paths look like part of the Amazonian rain forest and it is going to take a lot of hard graft shifting the green slime off. Moss is to die for on old stones and pots but on paths it can be lethal.

I have also decided to live on the wild side and have left a number of pots out this winter. As you get older the problem of moving heavy objects gets more difficult - so its bubble wrap and a prayer for me. I have mostly gone over to the the glazed type of pot now as they seem to last better in the Cumbrian weather but I do so love the proper terracotta - which in fact if proper terracotta should not crack - but they are now sadly becoming very expensive and the cheaper versions just do not last.

I also have to remember to water the plants I have put in the garage - I do not possess the luxury of a greenhouse - but feel sure they are safer in there than out in -6 frost.

The weather today, though, is sunny and bright and it is a lovely winter day. We will soon be at the shortest day and then folks its downhill to Spring - can't wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home