Saturday, July 29, 2006

low flying jets

Don't ever let anyone kid you that living in the country is quiet. In an effort to render first aid to some of the sickest plants in the garden, (loads now starting to droop and keel over) I decided to cut down their foilage to help them along a little. This may put the garden into an advance autumnal mode but that's better than losing half my plants. So out I go with cutters in hand only to become intimate with the undersides of not one but three very large jets. I saw another coming at me through the trees - now I know what it felt like for those guys in "Saving Private Ryan" when they hear the rumble of tank tracks in the distance.

I actually get a thrill from watching jets most of the time - but three at once was a bit much I can tell you. If the plants don't die from thirst they will probably curl over in fright. Once my woshing friends had passed (the breeze created by the downdraft was welcome) I continued with my quest. Cutting back on plant foilage may just help in the drought and will put less stress on the plant - obviously I have only done this with plants which have flowered but there are now lots coming into that category, including for example Astrantia and Hardy Geraniums.

There is still no sign of rain in this one of the wettest county's in Britain - they say it might rain tonight - we'll see, but in the meantime the compost bin is going to get awfully full.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home