Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Are you a Mac or a PC gardener?

In today's Times Michael Gove wrote a great piece on the difference between Mac and PC people. I liked it and it made me think in terms of gardeners. We at Reckless are Mac people, in fact I have been a Mac person since they were first brought on the market and still possess one of the first minute little Mac machines produced - no I am not going to sell it on Ebay it has far too many memories for that. It cost me thousands at the time but it was priceless in terms of the freedom it gave a journalist.

It reminded me of the first TVs which were installed in the 50s when we all had to sit right up to the screen to see it! Not very good for the eyes.

Anyway, the gist of the debate (as in the current advertising campaign) is that people with Macs are likely to be artistic, free thinking and free of spirit, creative and not very disciplined. They want to have fun. PC bodies, however, are more likely to be structured, want to put everything onto databases and classify and list everything.

So I got to thinking about that relationship aka the garden. Are Mac gardeners really the reckless ones who garden for fun and don't really throw a fit if something wilts or dies, who can live with the weeds and likes to see plants tumbling and carefree? Are PC gardeners the ones with the neat edges, no weeds in sight, databases full of planting instructions and plant lists and everything carefully arranged so that the whole effect is show perfect?

I don't know, but it is an interesting question. A garden is often an extension of a personality and so probably if that personality is a bit reckless then the garden will be also, if the personality is neat and trim, confined and orderly, then perhaps so too the garden! An interesting concept and one which might just stimulate some debate on the blog, so come on, Are you a Mac gardener or a PC gardener - the nation awaits!

Happy Valentines Day.

2 Comments:

At 4:13 pm, Blogger RUTH said...

Saw your comment on UKBOB's blog and thought I'd pay a visit. You mentioned begonia corms...I did a post about mine just the other day. I can't wait to get back into the garden properly.
Happy Gardening!

 
At 1:00 pm, Blogger Bob said...

HI Sandy, I'm a PC gardener for sure, I'm not that devastated if something dies but I'm all the rest and more!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home