Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year

Happy New Year to everyone and may the grass always be green on your lawn and the roses continue to bloom on your patio.

We had a crisis this morning. My beloved Cordyline, with the babies, - no not the Madonna with the big boobies - bit the dust in the massive gale ( or should I say hurricane) we had yesterday. I was gutted.The main trunk broke, I don't think it could support the weight of its upper leaves with the wind rocking it.

Anyway, fortunately I had left the offspring in tact and they are OK and hopefully will grow well to replace the original plant. I hope so anyway. I did really like that tree.

I hate these gardening deaths - losing a plant you really like is akin to losing your beloved cat or dog - if it dies of old age you can somehow cope but if it's unexpected then then difficult. As I write the hailstones are beating on the window and the sky outside is definitely not playing ball considering its new year's day!

Fortunately, I am not planning any garden visits today although I have had my fair share of wandering around stately edifices with neat cut borders under a broad brimmed umbrella.

And talking about borders - I read over the weekend that grasses are going to be oh so out for 2007 and borders are back in! Goody, Goody I say. As a border person myself I am overjoyed at this piece of news. However, if you really do love your grasses you can always take a leaf out of Tom Stuart-Smith's book and combine grasses in your borders. I have seen Tom create some really lovely gardens with borders which use grasses to add structure. So that is the way forward folks.

Welcome to 2007.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home