Friday, December 29, 2006

ready for the new gardening year

At last it's over and we can breath a sigh of relief for another year. I refer of course to Christmas, not in any scrooge like way you understand, but more as an impatient gardener awaiting a new year in the garden.

For when Christmas has passed I know that Spring is coming, at some stage anyway, and another gardening year is ahead of me. I think it was the great Alan Titchmarsh who said that we have about 45 gardening seasons in a lifetime, and so 45 tries at getting it right - which when you think about it is probably near the mark. I started gardening when I was about ten and so I have reached my 45 years to get it right, but hopefully I have a few more left.

By now you are probably totally fed up with the usual telly fare over christmas. Jurassic Park I, II and III, My Fair Lady, - all the usual culprits - African Queen, Scrooge etc etc. One highlight, though, was the Vicar of Dibley, always enjoyable I think and part II to look forward to shortly.

As we approach New Year I sit there with gardening books on lap, planning this and that, but often never really realising my dreams. However, one day I might win a garden make-over and who knows!

Of course I am also excited about all the fantastic flower shows ahead, from Malvern and Chelsea to Hampton Court and Tatton - with lots in between - and of course will try and keep you all up to date with everything that is going on in the gardening world.

My wish is that all your gardening expectations are realised in 2007 and remember the Recklessgardener motto: Just give it a go! Don't be afraid to experiment or worry that your knowledge is not good enough - to enjoy gardening is simply to get stuck in, get your hands dirty and enjoy the odd glass of wine along the way. Life could not be finer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home