Thursday, November 02, 2006

the rain in spain

Well we have had a really good few days of downpours but also interspersed with lovely autumnal days so we can't complain in Cumbria. The ground is quite boggy but rather that than the dryed-out soil of the summer.

I have been touring some of the garden centres looking for wallflowers but without much luck. The cost in a couple of them for a miserable bunch of 10 was over £3.50 in some cases which is insane, did I read the labels wrong? I usually buy from a local nursery or grower if I can find them as they are much better value than at garden centres, but up to now i have had little luck. I think I will have to try harder.

The leaves are now falling with gusto and the autumnal colours are here and there but the leaf drop I think has come before the colour really changed. I suppose this is because of the warmer weather, there hasn't been quite so many cold nights but now things do seem to be changing.

I'm busy planning features for the winter months for Reckless so if anyone has any ideas about what they would like to see featured post a comment to this blog and we will see what we can do.

According to his blog the Gardener to the Big House (Bob) is planting winter pansies - I have found these very good value for money as they make lovely hanging baskets and tubs right through to spring. I have even got some from last year which are still going strong.

Ah well, must get back to the wallflower hunt!

4 Comments:

At 11:44 pm, Blogger David (Snappy) said...

Hi Sandy I have seen your website and some of your blog.Hope you are enjoying it.Uk bob pointed out you needed some comments.Hope you will drop by!

 
At 2:09 am, Blogger Carol Michel said...

Hi. Like Snappy, I came over to check out your blog because I saw mention from UK Bob. What a great surprise to also find this online magazine. I've bookmarked both for a return visit

 
At 8:17 am, Blogger Bob said...

Hi Sandy, I'm pleased to see you got some company at last. We all came over like a belated trick or treat but not dressed as scary monsters or anything - yes, we do look like this for real! You should try and grow your own wallflowers next year they are very easy. See my post for yesterday for a brief description.

 
At 10:47 am, Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Hi! Came here from UK Bob's blog.
Wallflowers.. I finally ordered some wallflower seeds last year, and they are a nice size at the moment, planted here and there around my garden. So now waiting patiently for the flowers to appear in early spring, or, who knows, maybe sooner!
I love the pic of the spiderweb a few posts down!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home