Monday, January 15, 2007

Camellias are blooming

Well the Camellias are well on their way now and we have several lovely blooms on two of our trees. They are not supposed to blossom until March/April but hey consider it a bonus I say. The continual rain has been a bit of a thorn in my side as I have been unable to get out and do even the smallest amount of weeding which is a worry as I always think that the more you do now the better it is for spring.

I can't say as I have noticed anything else particularly astonishing except that some of the spring plants seem to be coming up a couple of weeks early but we are mid way through January so that is to be expected with some early flowering varieties.

I don't know whether to be daring or not and start a small veg patch. I haven't particularly been into veg ever but I suppose it would be fun to grow some and it might even stimulate my intereset. I always grump that too many gardening books spend too much time talking about veg as opposed to flowers. Carol Klein's tv series is certainly entertaining and she really enthuses you - so just maybe! But no promises!

One thing which does worry me about the mild winter is the liklihood of aphids, greenfly etc during the warmer months. We haven't had the frosts to kill them off. But wait - we have got to get through February and March yet and these can be extremely bad months, so best to not speak too soon.

We have lots of new features coming up on Reckless soon so please do keep dropping by.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home