Monday, March 12, 2007

a feathered friend

Spring must be here because we have had a feathery visitor singing his little heart out on top of our telegraph pole - which unfortunately sits in the middle of my flower bed but one must, if one wants to communicate with the outside world I suppose - anyway I was saying that our little thrush friend is really entertaining us. I think he is looking for a wee friend to snuggle up to in the trees so I hope he finds one.

It's good to see the nights drawing out and the morning getting a little lighter too. Today, is sunny and bright in Cumbria and I have been on a tour of inspection around the garden. I also discovered some pots of tete-ta-tete daffodils which I had forgotten about behind the garage so they have come out for all to see.

I only wish I could remove the fleece from the clematis but I know only too well that if I do that before the end of April I am doomed. Slowly, I am bringing pots out of the garage - I am so impatient at this time of the year, I just want the sun to come up and the weather to warm up and everything to start sprouting.

Diarmuid Gavin once told me that his favourite time in the garden was Spring. I couldn't agree more, it is a magical time and certainly my favourite too. I am getting excited already!

We have been doing some decorating and I had to move my gardening books for awhile. One thing about moving your bookcase is that it causes you to look at some of the books which might otherwise remain on the bookshelf. You forget just what useful books you have sometimes. Reckless regularly reviews new gardening books so don't forget to look in our review section on the website. There are some excellent ones coming out this Spring including John Brookes 'Gardening Design Course'.

Well make sure that the shears are oiled, the fork cleaned and the spade made ready - it's coming!!

1 Comments:

At 8:13 am, Blogger Bob said...

You've met Diarmuid Gavin! He's Vicki's favourite. Ha ha - I think you should have cleaned the fork and oiled everything before you put it away, it will be well rusty now!! Yes I prefer spring much more, I don't understand how people like autumn so much, I think thats my worst favourite season as there is nothing much to look forward too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home