Tuesday, May 08, 2007

amazing pelargoniums

I was reading an article by Sarah Raven on pelargoniums in the Telegraph at the weekend. Sarah said it is time to give the pelargonium new respect as they are fantastically colourful and long-flowering. I have always loved geraniums of every sort and the pelargonium varieties which you can now get are just wonderful. They are what I call a value-for plant as they can go on flowering right through winter in the right conditions.

Sarah mentioned one that I had discovered last year, Lord Bute. This wonderful variety was flowering right up to Christmas and has now started up again with the most wonderful dark rich flowers you could ever want. I managed to one at the wonderful Arley Hall and I have neber regretted it. With global warming the geranium is a good plant for dry conditions as it will go for a substantial period without watering.

You can also get scented pelargonium leaved varieties as well for extra fun. I just love to see a pot full of them - they are easy to grow and are not prey to pests. So if you haven't bought any why not try them in your garden or on your patio.

Chelsea is getting near and I feel my excitement levels rising. I am off to Malvern on Friday so will report on my findings - it will be the first time I have visited this particular show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home